The Federal Community provides a large number of internship opportunities, scholarship programs, and leadership opportunities. Several hundred thousand people take part in these programs every year! Beyond the experiences & skills that are built as part of these opportunities, some programs provide financial support and/or status categories for those pursuing Federal employment. Learn more about each program by clicking on the links below.
INTERN WITH THE SFFEB
The SFFEB has the following internships available throughout the year, and offer in depth immersion into the operations of federal agencies in Northern CA, and provide training, knowledge, and experience opportunities (commensurate to their professional level) on Emergency Preparedness and Employee Safety & Health, Workforce Development Readiness and HR Lifecycle, and Strategic Partnerships & Intergovernmental Affairs.
- SkillBridge Internship: Our SkillBridge Program offers transitioning service members the opportunity to intern with us for up to their last 180 days in the service. For more information on SkillBridge, go to; https://skillbridge.osd.mil/.
- VR&E Internship: Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) (Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching.
- Student Volunteer Intern: Must be a “student” currently enrolled in an accredited educational institution; high school, trade school, technical or vocational institute, junior college, college, or university OR is between academic programs (e.g. summer break). Must have approval through their academic institution to participate in the program AND must receive student academic credit for the volunteer service from their institution.
INTERNSHIP & DIRECT-HIRE PATHWAYS WITH FEDERAL AGENCIES
- AmeriCorps Programs (Direct Service)
- AmeriCorps VISTA (Indirect Service)
- DoD SkillBridge
- Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco – GOLD Internship Program
- Feds Hire Vets
- Military Spouse Employment Partnership
- NASA Ames Research Center – Internships & Educational Programs
- Peace Corps
- Pathways – Internship
- Pathways – Presidential Management Fellows
- Pathways – Recent Graduates
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
- VSFS Internships – Virtual Student Federal Service
- Workforce Recruitment Program
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Boren Fellows & Scholars
- Critical Language Scholarship; The CLS Program is part of a U.S. government effort to expand dramatically the number of Americans studying and mastering critical foreign languages.
- English for Heritage Language Speakers; the Native speakers of critical languages are in high demand in the U.S. government. EHLS trains advanced English speakers to be effective communicators and strong candidates for federal jobs.
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Gilman Scholarship
- NSEP/Boren; At NSEP, our primary mission is to develop a pipeline of foreign language and culture expertise for the U.S. federal government workforce.
- Truman Scholarship